Friday, March 7, 2008

Challenge #3 - last addition 3/13/08

Ok. I've been trying to type this up for 20 minutes to have it ready for the morning but got totally sucked into Celebrity Apprentice. LOL - sorry for the hijack but I was laughing so hard I actually cried. Did Omarosa seriously try to OUT Piers Morgan as her defense as to how he beat her soooo badly? Blogger needs an eye-rolling smiley to insert here! Too funny! Piers kissing Trace Adkins on the cheek was even funnier (even though Trace didn't get it at ALL, lol)!

Sorry - hijack over! On to the next challenge. Now I KNOW everyone can join in on this one! We're going to dig into those FIBERS next! Come on, I know I wasn't the only one who lived at Fibers By the Yard until I figured out they were just specialty yarns. Remember swapping fibers? You'd go out and buy a skein of eyelash yarn and cut up a yard for each person in the swap and STILL have 3/4 of a skein left... Now you can get that same yarn on clearance at Michael's and Hobby Lobby for about a dollar.



And no, this isn't my stash...this is an Ebay auction you missed, lol! Went for over $30 so someone out there is still using fibers, they just aren't that "must have" item they used to be and could be again if we can bring it back!

FBTY may be gone, but there IS still a similar online store around! Yikes - I still HAVE a few of their collections, lol! On the Fringe.

Here is a page they have with ways to use fibers. Hehe - and sketches that look like "I" drew them! I just knew I had talent! Still need that eyeroll smiley!

Here is another page about using fibers (aside from scarf-making, which I also dabbled in as a way to try to whittle down my stash...).

I was hunting around for links to share and somehow came across an oldie but a goodie that I had forgotten ALL about - anyone else remember the Provo Craft "Hug Club"? The origin of hybrid scrapping!!! Sigh - those were the days! How come I could print those off and use them over and over (now, I said I used them, not that it looked good...) and yet now the thought of hybrid just freezes me up completely? Sorry for yet another hijack, lol, but this just made me smile. I doubt enough people were ever into these enough that it would be a challenge (maybe a part of a challenge though, hmmm) but I wanted to reminisce and you guys actually GET that, lol!

So let's get out those fibers, ladies! We're coming up on Easter - maybe we could fall back on the old kids' craft of dipping them in a glue and water mix and covering a balloon with them to create yarn eggs...surely we could find some ways to embellish those further with all of our supplies...



Stef joined us this week and took care of two challenges at once with this adorable card! I know ribbon has replaced fibers as the "go to" item, but this combination of fibers reminds me why I always loved fibers better! Soft and pretty and more...organic, I guess is the word I'm looking for, than ribbon!



Deb N combined this challenge with a "kitty" challenge from another blog and ended up with a card that I think MY cat would love to play with, lol! I love the fibers with chipboard and even more hanging off of the metal tab! I just gotta say it again - ribbon just doesn't have the same appeal to me! Look how prettily the yarns cascade!



Aimeslee has REALLY been raiding her stash of fibers!! Tons of ATC's and cards with nice soft touches of fibers! And I'm just loving all the Irish themes for St. Patrick's Day!!

6 comments:

Nettie said...

What a fantastic idea, one that I have totally forgotten about! Now I'm off to rid myself od some of my fiber stash that does seem endless!

Nettie

Anonymous said...

I just found your blog this week ... what fun. I combined challenges 2 & 3 for my card (believe it or not, I don't own any mesh for challenge 1). Thanks for the trip down memory lane:

http://ingeniousinkling.typepad.com/ingenious_inkling/2008/03/bringing-it-bac.html

Michelle L. said...

I just found your blog through smilynstef, and this is a challenge that was made for me! I've always been out of style and look forward to bringing some fun stuff back!

Deb Neerman said...

Here's my entry for the 'fibers' challenge, ladies:

http://debneerman.blogspot.com/2008/03/kitties-blog-challenge-entry-kitties.html

Thanks for another fun challenge; you rock!

~Hugs, Deb
http://debneerman.blogspot.com

Deb Neerman said...

Hello again, Ladies.

Do you know this commentor,"Dumuro?" I clicked on the link and I believe I either picked up, or was about to pick up, a virus. You might want to remove the comment until you're sure it's not a problem.

~Hugs, Deb

Jenna Franklin said...

Got it, Deb! I just noticed it too when I was putting your card up. I'll put a note somewhere else, but I think we can pretty much assume anyone playing will say more than "click here" type of comments. I would highly recommend never clicking on anything linked from the comments section that doesn't clearly show it's meant to be there. I will always add the pics to the post itself so if you ladies would like to stay safe, you can wait - I can't promise immediate anything, but I don't think it's taken me more than 24 hours to get anything moved to the main post! :)