Thursday, March 13, 2008

Challenge #4 - last addition 03/20/08

Happy Friday, everyone! Just a quick note to be sure to go back and browse the earlier challenges - we've had some new additions to inspire you!

For this week, we're going to work with those bottlecaps! Several companies came out with decorated bottle caps back in "the day" - Li'l Davis Designs, EK Success, and let's not forget all the cute colored ones that Design Originals did! For those of you who have purged them from your scrapbooking stash...hey, it's a great excuse to go have a beer, right? I even found a tutorial here for making them digitally! And of course, they ARE still available!



Fair warning - if you dump them out like this, feline household members WILL be excited...I think mine took off with one or two.

I really had forgotten just how versatile these are until I was browsing around looking for info to link for inspiration. For the basics (in case you've forgotten), here are instructions for flattening them. Here is a great page on stamping on them. I love that they mention using a hammer to texturize them - anyone have a Tim Holtz hammer to test an update to that technique? Speaking of Tim, don't forget alcohol inks do spectacular things with bottle caps! Here is another page with ideas for using them - love the closure idea!

All right - let's see what you can all do!! Link me in the comments or in an email and I'll add them to the post for everyone's inspiration! Check back often to see what everyone else is doing to bring back bottle caps!

Pauline was the first to finish this challenge (welcome!) this week and look! Bonus points for using a zipper too! Very cute!


Here's an altered wood frame from me. I seem to have forgotten any technique I used to have for flattening these buggers but I think I should have probably been doing it on the floor instead of my table (I had a mat to protect the table but the bounce was too much, I think).


Aimeslee has some more ATC's for us this week! If you check her blog she also has pics of the process of squashing bottlecaps with the original Sizzix machine (with the sandwich "recipe" too!). I especially just LOVE the sunflower one with the sun stamped into the bottlecap!


Aimeslee also tested the Crop-A-Dile on her bottlecaps and not only did it work, but she found a USE for the bottlecaps in attaching ribbons to her card box to make a handle! How cute is that (not to mention inspiring since I'm playing with making Easter baskets at the moment, lol!)

5 comments:

Aimeslee Winans said...

Hey, Jenna. Well, I just flattened my first bottlecap ever, and I did it using my Big Red Sizzix. I know that the Wizard boasts that capability, but it seems to be an urban myth type question out there as to whether Big Red can do the same thing. I'm here to report that, yes it can.

I took my System Converter off, stacked 2 of the white platforms, and on top of that stacked two of the little Sizzix adapters, and then topped it with a thin-to-medium piece of chipboard (pad backing). That's my sandwich recipe for it. The bottlecap will sit on top of all that, inside facing up. Reason being, the press that comes down to flatten it is pure steel, so it cannot be hurt.

I'm still too chicken to try it inside face down and may never try since I'm getting desired results.

Anyway, this challenge kinda froze me up, since I have never ever used a cap before, seriously. I of course have an entire drawer of them waiting. lol

Now to come up with some ideas for using them in what I have on my to-make list.....

Question: are you flattening yours? Do most people use them flattened?

Pauline said...

Here is my use of bottle caps!
They are just colored ones .. i dont' own a big red and have never tried to flatten them. So mine are unflattened!

http://scrappinauntie.blogspot.com/2008/03/page-145-bring-it-back-challenge.html

Aimeslee Winans said...

Cute layout, Pauline, very inventive.

Aimeslee Winans said...

Okay, Jenna, here are my projects using bottlecaps. They are all on my blog this time, in one post, at Aimeslee's Antics.

1. Bottlecap conchos for my card box:
http://bp2.blogger.com/_WonLURXp5ik/R-JUuQ6RY0I/AAAAAAAAAk0/_83uS6_PG5E/s1600/BCAP_SIZZIX.jpg

and

http://bp2.blogger.com/_WonLURXp5ik/R-JRkQ6RYzI/AAAAAAAAAks/eybpywLdjjE/s1600/BCAP_CAD.jpg

2. Sunflower atc:
http://bp1.blogger.com/_WonLURXp5ik/R-JfCA6RY2I/AAAAAAAAAlE/d1uIa0cOnWo/s1600/SUNFLOWER%231_FULL.jpg

3. Patchwork Earth atc:
http://bp0.blogger.com/_WonLURXp5ik/R-JfBw6RY1I/AAAAAAAAAk8/AlOAbgAVnQg/s1600/PATCHWORK_EARTH_FULL.jpg

Thanks for the challenge!
Aimeslee

Aimeslee Winans said...

Jenna, I'm so dumb, I forgot on my last post to tell you how cute I think your layout is. Love that photo of your son, too funny, and you did great smashing on a table, I'd be so scared to do that. Have fun on your crop, girl!