Friday, February 22, 2008

Challenge #1 - last addition 3/28/08

Everybody ready? By an overwhelming majority (lol, which was 7 votes), we're going to start our first challenge with Magic Mesh. Now Magic Mesh is still available so it's not an old, discontinued thing we just have hanging around. However, once upon a time, this was THE hot product around! We all went out and bought it in every color and collected it like it was going out of style...Oops! It went out of style!
Whether the cool kids are playing with it or not, Magic Mesh is still an extremely versatile product and adds great texture without bulk. Check out the link to the website - they have tons of ideas there, including a whole page on therapeutic uses! They've done their homework to find lots of uses for their product, now it's our turn.

Simply link to your project in the comment section or email it to me at michaelcsmommy@yahoo.com and I'll add them all to the main post for everyone to be inspired - don't forget to submit them for publication! At the very least, send your creation directly to Magic Mesh here - I'm sure they'd be thrilled to see new ideas with their product too! We're bringing Magic Mesh back this week!!! If you've used an interesting technique, please share how you did it too! Check back often to see inspiration from others taking the challenge. Since I'll be adding them to this post I don't know that the RSS feeds will let you know or not!

And yikes - someone please tell me I'm not the only one with this kind of a stash, lol! And take a picture to share so I don't feel so bad! And you thought I was kidding when I said I had a lot...and that I was doing this challenge for you...it's for me!

A note about the widget on the righthand side of the page! This is called a Blidget. If you click on "get this widget", you can take this feed pretty much anywhere - your blog, your Myspace, your Pageflakes (this is where I have a bunch - love this!) homepage, etc. When you click on it, it will walk you through where you want to put it - totally idiot proof, I promise! You can also change the color if you don't want the obnoxious orange to clash with your own page. Yea, I know, I'm turning into a blog geek but still can't figure out how to do a header, lol! I'm working on that, I promise!

Debbi T is our first challenge player finished! Look how great the red Magic Mesh pulls out the red from the photos (I totally bow down to your photography skills too!!) and really goes perfectly with all the linear aspects of this layout! Yay Debbi!

Here's Alana's take on the magic Mesh. Green mesh gives a whole different look to the leaves for the flowers in this layout! AND, she used some more mesh as part of her background - how cool does that look! And is her niece a doll or what! I swear, I had a "Jenny" doll when I was really young and she looks JUST like her!



Ha! I found a picture! I LOVED this doll when I was really little and every time I scroll past this layout I can't help but think of her! Sorry - hijack over, lol!

Karen used just tiny amounts to give lots of texture to a couple of layered page elements. It only take a touch to make an impact! Are we starting to remember what we loved about Magic Mesh? :) I heart this layout!

Lisa used another form of mesh as a great accent, bringing out the red from her son's shirt. It takes on a much softer look when it's not in perfect grid formation and goes great with the scallops and swirls. I love the layered patterned paper to the left of it too - way to use lots of product!!

Janet used Magic Mesh as journaling lines - how clever is that! I have a horrible tendency to slant my handwriting so I'm going to have to try this! Click on it for a closeup - cut that thin the MM ends up looking like little picket fencing too!

Aimslee has done two ATC's using the Dottie Ann Magic Mesh. Totally clever and the mesh looks completely fresh as a way to add texture to her "ground" in both. Used once with a grassy effect and one with snow!

Ok, and here's mine! Simple little harvest mini basket and this rust color was just perfect! I also used Twistart (similar to Twistel but not variegated and a little narrower).


And one more from me. This was a really inexpensive bracelet blank and I used the scraps from the project above (with all the colors I have, this just seemed to be the one screaming out "Pick ME, choose ME, love ME!"). Added a layer of glossy accents and then some Prima's with copper Scribbles as the centers. Project time - about 10 minutes. Drying time - about 2 hours.



Deb used some Dottie Ann Magic Mesh to give a gorgeous pop of color to this card. And look how well it goes with the stamp too!!


Aimeslee sent me two more ATC's (man I need to try these!) for this challenge! She's been a busy girl - check out challenges 2 and 3 for more - way to go for working into that stash!!!



Another one from me. A simple inexpensive votive holder, some Magic Mesh and strip of Zsiage paper and a few Prima's! Totally quick and easy!



Els sent in this darling card with a mesh background. I don't have a link to a gallery or blog for her yet but can't wait to see more from her!!

13 comments:

Janet said...

Love the idea of this challenge! Sadly, I have no Magic Mesh. :-D Never bought any! But I do have a lot of other old stuff, so we'll see what the next challenge brings! Janet

Unknown said...

I also don't have magic mesh but I have a lot of other old stuff - so count me in on future old challenges!

Unknown said...

sorry Jenna, looks like you are the only one with this amount of Magic Mesh in their stash!!! I will start on this one soon!

Anonymous said...

When I did work for Scrappin Sports and More, they sent me a bunch of MM because they were doing a promotional deal. I must go dig it up.

fredfreddy

Aleta said...

I never bought any Magic Mesh either!! LOL! Maybe you can mail us all a piece to use! LOL! Just kidding! :D

Debbi Tehrani said...

I wish I could take credit for the photos, but my camera battery died at the concert, so I had to find images on the Internet.

LOVE this new challenge! I just used a layout using ancient slide holders!

Karen said...

Love the idea! I have a few rolls of Magic Mesh (although most are in awful colours that I still don't think I could bring myself to use lol) and I used a teeny weeny bit on this project: http://scrapperwithoutaclue.blogspot.com/2008/02/pink-paislee-yumminess.html

Thanks for the inspiration. Karen xx

Jen Gallacher said...

I love these!! I am a Magic Mesh lover as well, but didn't really ever collect it. Now I'm totally wishing. ;)

Stacey S-O said...

Neat challenge but I sold my MM last year at tag sale.

Sara said...

Love the LO's & the whole idea of the blog! I admit to having some "dottie mesh" which I like better than the original but the ladies here have brought it back with style!!

Unknown said...

that was so FUN!! I cut my Magic Mesh into journaling lines:


The Everything Desk

Debbi Tehrani said...

So wonderful to see how everyone can make OLD stuff look fresh and new!

Anonymous said...

what a great blog! I've never owned any Magic Mesh...but I DO still have my Fisher Price doll named Jenny, just like the one you pictured!!! And her brother Joey, too!